Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Baseball Equipment Review Genesis

I have 7 children who each LOVE baseball. We are a perfect match because I do too. By last count, I've purchased about 500 baseball, exactly 38 bats, 14 fielding gloves, 12 pairs of batting gloves, who knows how many pairs of cleats, one batting cage net, a pitching machine and a host of other baseball related equipment that have pushed my retirement back by at least a year or two. To say nothing of the countless hours I've spent on every baseball or softball site imaginable gathering the right information to make product purchases or help my son or daughter with their swing.

I am one of those fathers who does too much for my kids sports. I contribute, ashamedly, to the little league arms race. I am jealous of those who don't care enough to send their kids to practice with glove that doesn't fit or a bat that is bigger than them. I wish I could just not care and appreciate the booger nose sport for what it is: just a bunch of community kids getting together to learn order (or whatever it is you think). But I just can't not care. It's against my nature. My kids want to do their best and contribute to their team winning. I can't help but support them in that.

I also probably have some obsessiveness issues. I can't seem to stop being inquisitive on what makes a baseball fly further and faster. How does swing speed or MOI actually work. Or what type of trampoline effect can we expect. I can't seem to stop watching Tom House Videos or slow motion videos of the swing Cabrera, Trout, Cespedas, Harper, et al. I've have software to analyze swings, slow motion video to compare to the greats and back yard batting cage where its rare that someone from the neighborhood isn't in getting their cuts in.

Long story short, I consider myself an expert on youth baseball equipment and mildly proficient in swing coaching. Not because I work for any of these companies, sell any of their products or Coach for a living--I don't have time for that. But because I am a Father of seven children who can't stop asking questions and a mind that I can't seem to turn off to the subject.

So, with that said, here is the start of my blog I actually wish I found when I started this journey several years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment